Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Snacks


I could make a meal of snacks. In fact, I have. My favorite thing is to have some crostini (don't let the food snobs fool you- this is a fancy word for toast) topped with all manner of different things. My current fave toppings are Tomato Bruschetta with Feta and Fresh Pea Spread with Feta. Yum... feta... but I digress. I don't use a recipe for these, so I have just included the ingredients. The key is to taste before topping your bread. I taste and ask myself: is there enough salt? Pepper? Acidity? Is one ingredient overpowering all others? Being a chronic recipe clipper, I find that when I make something without using a recipe is very rewarding. Even if it is just pureed peas on toast.

CROSTINI

Toast slices of a Baguette, French bread or Italian bread until just golden brown. You can drizzle with olive oil before toasting (in a toaster oven or in the oven- probably not a good idea in a toaster), but I usually just make it dry.

TOMATO BRUSCHETTA

  • tomato(es), medium dice
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • splash of balsamic vinegar
  • finely minced garlic (squash it into a paste with the side of your knife even)
  • feta cheese, crumbled
  • crostini
Mix all ingredients but feta and crostini. Use immediately to top crostini or let rest in fridge up to 2 days. Sprinkle with feta and maybe some fresh black pepper.

FRESH PEA SPREAD WITH FETA

  • frozen peas, thawed in a sieve under running water*
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice
  • salt
  • pepper
  • crostini
  • feta, crumbled
Whizz all ingredients but crostini and feta in food processor until almost smooth. Spread on crostini and top with feta, pressing feta a bit so it doesn't fall off and your dog gets it (or is that just me?).
*I know, this is technically not a "fresh" pea spread, but it tastes like it and the name sounds better than Frozen Pea Spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment