Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fish and chips, kind of



I don't deep fry. That's not to say I don't eat deep fried food, I just don't eat it in my own home. I feel that would be crossing the line. I'm not sure which line, but somehow it just feels wrong. So, in our house fish and chips means crispy baked fish and roasted potatoes. I changed up the potatoes a bit this time with a recipe for Grated Potato Cakes from my favorite show French Food at Home.


This fish recipe is amazing. It a little time consuming to make compared to taking fish sticks out of the freezer- you have to make breadcrumbs, toast them, then coat the fish- but the fish come out with a super crunchy exterior and super juicy on the inside (I said juicy to avoid typing moist, the grossest word ever). The secret is in the egg coating- rather than just eggs to adhere the breadcrumbs to the fish, you mix the eggs with flour and mayo, which acts as a barrier between the wet fish and the dry breadcrumbs. The fish almost steams inside the coating it seems. Of course, this recipe comes from none other than my homies at America's Test Kitchen. You have to register your email to see the recipe, but it's free and totally worth it. Do print the recipe though if you plan on ever making it- you can only view recipes from the current season of the show for free.

***Update April 14, 2012 The recipe for Crunchy Oven Fried Fish is now premium content (i.e. not free) on the America's Test Kitchen website. But the internet can always be trusted for plagerism. You can find the recipe over at Have Recipes Will Cook blog

I made a quick tartar sauce to go with the fish as well- mix together mayo, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chopped pickles, salt, pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment