Sunday, January 3, 2010

Man sized salad


I love Cobb Salad. I order it at restaurants all the time which costs about 12 bucks. For a salad. I got to thinking that I don't ever make it at home, and I should. It'd be cheaper, that's for sure. Cause I cry a little inside every time I shell out $12.95 for a salad at a chain restaurant.

The first photo at the top of the post is the prettily arranged salad on a plate. The salad ended up being so big that I had to dump our plates into big wooden salad bowls in order to mix it all up to eat, which is the photo below because it was funny.


I don't have a recipe per se, but below is what I put in the Cobb salad and how I prepared each item.
  • Romaine lettuce, cut to bite size pieces
  • Cherry tomatoes, halved
  • Cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced
  • Red pepper, thinly sliced
  • Hard boiled eggs, diced
  • Bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and fried in a pan
  • Cheese, cut into small cubes. I happened to have mozzarella and herbed harvarti in the fridge
  • Croutons- whole wheat sandwich bread cut into cubes, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked at 350 degrees F until golden brown (10 minutes or so)
  • Ranch dressing (low fat), doctored with some lemon juice and low fat sour cream
Some grilled chicken wouldn't go amiss here either, I just didn't have any chicken.

Sorry, the photos lately are so yellow- even if it didn't get dark here at 5:00 pm, we usually don't eat until after 8:00 so it's dark anyways, and the photos actually look better without using the flash on the camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment