Sunday, January 3, 2010

Olive Bread


I got the bread-making bug again the other day, but I wanted to make something different. I was flipping through Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and saw a recipe for Tapenade Bread. I've just recently started to like olives, and I had olives in the fridge that I had to use up, so I decided to make this. I didn't, however, want to make 4 loaves of it which the recipe in the book yielded (the premise of the book is to make a big batch of dough and then but it in the fridge for a while which negates having to knead it and it ferments like sourdough). I turned to, once again, America's Test Kitchen. I swear I'm not being paid by them! They have a recipe for Almost No Knead Bread that I've made before with great results. Don't be scared of making bread! This method is so easy a child or my husband couldn't screw it up.

I made some quick tapenade* and added this to the dough when I added the wet ingredients. The dough didn't rise a lot, but the bread turned out really flavorful and moist (ugh, I just can't avoid that word). I'm not sure if the lack of rising and moistness was due to the addition of the tapenade or the fact that I added too much water by accident and tried to compensate by throwing in some more flour which threw off the science behind the No Knead method, but it still turned out great. The addition of the tapenade also turned the bread kind of purple-tinged, but I think it's pretty...

*Throw olives (don't make the same mistake I did and forget to pit the olives before processing them. I'm surprised my food processor still works), capers, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, dried thyme in a food processor and process until chopped to your liking

No comments:

Post a Comment