Sunday, March 17, 2013

DIY Skinny Irish Cream + Grown-Up Shamrock Shake

It's St. Paddy's day. If it were 10 years ago I'd be going out, standing in line freezing for an hour to gain entrance to a pseudo-Irish pub and then proceeding to drink my face off. But. I'll be 30 in a few months (eek!) and I have a toddler and a job on Monday. So Irish Stew and Irish Cream drinks at home it is.

I am not sharing a recipe for Irish Stew today, but here is the one I'm making tonight. It may show up in another post if it turns out well. I'm going to make it with lamb, so we'll see how that goes. Last time I cooked lamb at home I was pregnant and couldn't stand the smell so the whole thing went in the garbage. Better luck this time I hope!

I believe it was on Pinterest that I first noticed a recipe for DIY Bailey's Irish Cream. Of course. I didn't pin it though and then forgot about it until today since all the recipes I Googled call for cream. Any recipe that calls for a cup of cream is generally a deterrent for me, especially this one as Tyler doesn't like Bailey's so I'll have it all to myself. It occurred to me that it would just as good with milk. I used 2%, but any other milk or even almond milk would be great too.

As I was making the Irish Cream Tyler decided he wanted a Shamrock Shake and a burger from McDonald's. He left to get one and I had the brilliant idea to make a grown up Shamrock Shake. Oh my gosh, this is the best milkshake ever. Dangerously good. Unfortunately it's not green- I did add 3 drops of green food colouring but the brown of the Irish Cream overrode it and I didn't want to add any more. The minty goodness is there though. I think Shamrock Shakes are no longer just for St. Patrick's Day in my house any more. Yum.

Three Years Ago: Almond Cake

DIY SKINNY IRISH CREAM
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Makes 16 oz., recipe is easily doubled

I didn't have any chocolate syrup so I used 1 tbsp cocoa powder mixed with a little hot water, which is why my Irish Cream is darker brown than the original recipe. Also, I didn't have any Irish Whiskey but we did have some 40 Creek Whiskey and it tastes great, it's just not as authentic obviously.
  • 3/4 cup Whiskey
  • 1 cup milk - 2%, 1%, skim, or almond
  • 1/2 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tbsp chocolate syrup or 3/4 tbsp cocoa powder mixed with a splash of hot water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
Blend all ingredients in a blender, or in a mixing bowl with an immersion blender, until smooth. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate up to 2 months.

GROWN UP SHAMROCK SHAKE
Serves 1
  • 1.5 oz Irish Cream
  • 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream- regular or reduced fat
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
Blend everything until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment