Thursday, June 13, 2013

Greek Potato Salad

Wow it's been a while since I have posted anything. I know, not at peep from me lately. In the 3+ years I've been writing this blog I think this is longest I've gone between posts, and that includes when I was pregnant and food turned my stomach. What gives?

I don't know, really. I've been back to work full time a year now and I think the daily grind of pumping out quick meals when I get home from work has sapped my creativity. I also find I'm eating more for health than pure enjoyment lately. 'Cause let's be honest, avocado chocolate pudding is good, but it's no butter-laden chocolate chip cookie people.

I think that's enough excuses now, non? Let's get to the food.

I have made this potato salad twice in the last few weeks. It is a nice fresh twist on the regular old potluck potato salad (or the one in the plastic container from the grocery store Tyler likes... UGH). My Greek Potato Salad is loaded with more veg that you will usually find in potato salad, plus lemon zest makes everything better. Make this for your next BBQ and you'll be asked for the recipe, guaranteed. I should have prettied it up for the photo with some chopped parsley sprinkled on top or something, but whatever. Trust me, it is delish.

Oh, I just thought of one more excuse... I'm turning 30 in three weeks and I'm kinda FREAKING OUT. I used to think my Grannie was ridiculous saying she was 29 for twenty years straight, but now I get it. I may pull a Grannie. 29 forevah bitches (sorry for the swear Dad... it just fits).

One Year Ago: Let's just do this- here are the April 2012 and May 2012 archives

GREEK POTATO SALAD
Serves 4
This is one of those recipes I am so fond of that isn't really a recipe. Why measure a specific amount of cucumber- who cares how much goes in exactly? Just go with it. The potatoes are tossed with the dressing while still hot so that they absorb the dressing and become more delicious.

  • 4 small to medium yellow fleshed potatoes
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 a cucumber, roughly chopped
  • 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup low fat mayo
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • splash red wine or white wine vinegar
  • splash olive oil
  • dash garlic powder
  • bigger dash dried oregano
  • handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • small handful fresh dill, chopped (or use dried dill to taste)
  • salt and pepper (I like it with lots of pepper)
Cook the potatoes in the microwave or in a pot of water until just cooked through. Let cool a few minutes. While potatoes are cooling whisk together dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Using a sharp knife in order to keep the skin in tact, chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in bowl with dressing. Mix gently (a spatula works well here) to coat potatoes. Refrigerate until cooled.

When cooled gently mix in remaining salad ingredients. Refrigerate until serving. Leftovers will keep a day, but after that things get fairly soggy.

1 comment:

  1. Medjool dates are a lusciously sweet and tender variety of dates that have been revered for centuries for their rich flavor and numerous health benefits. These succulent fruits, often referred to as the king of dates, are packed with essential nutrients, including a wide range of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. Beyond their nutritional value, Medjool dates also offer a natural sweetness that makes them an excellent alternative to refined sugars in cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete