Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Grilled Chicken and Bulgar Salad with Goat Cheese


Bulgar is officially my new favorite thing. I mentioned in the last meal planning post that I was going to make this salad with bulgar instead of farro. Well. That was a genius move if I say so myself.

First of all, bulgar is easier to find- I bought it at my small town grocery store- and probably cheaper too. It is nutty, toothsome (I love that word), and maybe the best part.... wait for it... you don't have to cook it. It's parboiled- which it what makes it bulgar not cracked wheat- so it just has to re-hydrate. Just mix a 2:1 ratio of water to bulgar and let it rest for an hour. I did mine a couple of days ago in a Tupperware container stuck it in the fridge so it was ready to go in advance.

As I've said before, I have a hard time following a recipe exactly. Or at all, as it turns out in this case. The recipe from Bon Appetit was more of an inspiration in this case. 

Also, I managed to barbecue without setting anything on fire tonight. Yay me.

I'll admit, this salad looks all weird and healthy when it's all mixed up (rather than layered nicely in the photo above). My brother came over for a swim tonight after we'd had dinner and was all, "What's that?"
Me: "Bulgar"
Him: "Vulgar? Yeah it looks vulgar" 
I made him taste some and he asked if he could take home the leftovers. Ha, take that.

 
GRILLED CHICKEN AND BULGAR SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE
Serves 4
Keep in mind the bulgar needs to an hour to start, so plan accordingly.
  • 1 cup bulgar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper
  • large handful asparagus, tough ends removed
  • large handful green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 tomato
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Dressing:
  • 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • large handful fresh herbs, chopped- I used basil, parsley, oregano as this what's in my garden
  • salt and pepper
Combine bulgar and water in a bowl and let stand for 1 hour. Alternatively, make bulgar a couple of days in advance and keep refrigerated.

Boil a pot of water. Add a good pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook 4 minutes or until just tender. Remove green beans to an ice water bath to cool them quickly. Drain, dry, and set aside.

Heat grill to high. Season chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through. While chicken is cooking, carefully place asparagus spears on the grill so that they don't fall through the grates. Grill asapargus about 5 minutes or until slightly charred. Remove and let cool slightly before chopping into 1/2-inch pieces.

 Whisk together dressing ingredients in bottom of serving bowl. Add bulgar, chicken, vegetables, and goat cheese. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment